Monday, February 22, 2010

postcards

Most people know that I am done with school. Everyone asks, "what have you been up to?" and I answer, scooping ice cream (still) and a gallery internship. "Oh." they say, hiding the disappointment in my less than riveting reply. "Are you making any art?" they ask, with a hopeful tonal upswing. This is usually where I say no, but lately I've been saying postcards. Postcards aren't as exciting as they use to be I guess, unless they are covered in illicit, silly or private revelations. (like these ). But I've been making postcards because they aren't as intimidating as little paintings or drawings.
Here they are:
 
 this one's my favorite and has been sent to the east coast

Grumpy cat in a bag for all those with cabin fever

I doodled this card while listening to Au Revoir Simone, a Brooklyn band that I've just started listening to.


Step by step and bird by bird I guess. At least I can say that I've been making things. This past Sunday I went to a liquidation sale and bought around 10 wood panels of varying sizes, so once the rains stop I'll bike over to the tool lending library for a miter box, clamps and a hand saw and burn a lot of calories making panels to paint on. I'm really excited about where they could lead.

2 comments:

  1. East coast postcard received, with much thanks and admiration for the burst of creativity/connection :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like the leggy one... also, and julian will agree- snail mail is dreadfully underrated. postcards rock! thanks for the inspiration...

    ReplyDelete