Wednesday, February 3, 2010

mysterious people

I've started painting figures again. It's been a long time since I considered people as something I want to paint. I think the reason I've shied away from figurative work is that it's harder for me to convey what I am feeling/what situations and emotions I want people to perceive. I get caught up in trying to make the people accurate, in proper proportions and colors and it becomes boring for me, and I don't care as much about it because then it is merely a study on how to get better, and a viewer can only look at so many studies before they lose interest.
But I'm on a "try to loosen up" kick, so here I am, painting tiny images of tots and kids. Re-imaginings of past events, alternative histories, people in wild brooding places.
I am excited about these two paintings.
I'm also revisiting some mono-types I made my second year in college- for now I'm just adding watercolor washes, but I might start being a little bolder with time. Here's what I have so far:
  
  I like the textures of the prints a lot. Hopefully I can find a way to make these and the rest of the prints I have work...

No comments:

Post a Comment