Sunday, January 2, 2011

A new year

Re-evaluation is important. I try to keep track of changes in thoughts, to see things from multiple perspectives, but it is something I have to work hard at. Introspection can be a painful process, and for the past few months I have done everything to avoid it as much as possible. After participating in a group show in June I hit a dead-end. A creative block trickled into a depression and I spent some serious time in the doom and gloom department. It's not easy asking for kindness, or making mistakes without booby-trapping yourself with guilt. The past few months were mostly spent learning these life lessons, and slogging through the banality of post-college life in a part-time job.
I don't know how much of this anyone really wants to know, but I feel compelled to fess up and take full responsibility for shrinking away from art. I don't know exactly what I want out of life, but I do know that I don't want to be the art kid. I don't want to have a blase relationship with self-expression, I don't want to be ironic, I don't want to flounder anymore.
This year I hope to create a body of work that surpasses the pieces from my "We Are What We Have Lost" series, to continue experimenting with lino cuts and selling cards on the side. I need art again, I want it to be a fully developed part of my life.
Consider this the to-do list of this new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment